Occasionally, schools and event organisers are concerned about the H&S issues surrounding a samurai sword display and require clarification for their insurance.
- All displays are strictly controlled and no weapons are used by or with students.
- The techniques demonstrated are suitable for the age range.
- Chris is a graded black belt martial artist with over 20 years experience.
- A performance area of 5m by 5m, with a 2m ceiling clearance is required.
- Verbal warnings are given throughout the event.
- School staff must supervise all sessions and be responsible for discipline.
- The samurai sword remains with the author at all times.
- The author is covered by £5 million public liability insurance.
H&S for the BODYGUARD events:
- The self-defence techniques demonstrated are suitable for the age range.
- All participants are given clear safety instructions.
- Relevant health checks are made prior to any martial arts demonstration.
- For the 'One Inch Push', a protective pad is used and two standard gym mats are requested in the rare occurence that the participant falls over.
- Any techniques are demonstrated at less than a third power.
- Participants in the 'bulletcatcher test' are required to wear safety glasses as provided by the author.
Click here to download a completed risk assessment.
Public Liability Insurance
Furthermore, I am covered for any author related activities and demonstrations up to £5million. I also have an additional £1million personal accident and member-to-member cover from my Iaido club under the Federation of Iai Schools via TL Risk Solutions.
My public liability is with Max Piper at Blake Insurance Services, 46 & 48 North St, Bridgwater, Somerset, TA6 3PN. Tel: 01278 453345. email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Law & Samurai Swords
Regarding the law in relation to samurai swords, please visit the below government website which clarifies the allowable use of samurai swords for historical re-enactments and sport purposes: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2008/draft/ukdsi_9780110810324_en_1
Projector, screen and speakers into which a Mac laptop can be connected.
(VGA connector provided)
Ideally a head or body mic for sound
Performance area for Samurai Sword Display: 13 feet by 16 feet with a ceiling clearance of at least 7 feet. This is a guide - most halls have more that this space given over to the staging areas.